Changes to the way apprenticeships are funded come into force on 6th April 2017 in the form of a new apprenticeship levy, which will be applied to all employers with an annual wage bill greater than £3 million.
Resources NE Ltd, who are an approved SFA Apprenticeship provider and are listed on ROATP (Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers), are committed to helping all employers (Levy and non-Levy payers) to understand the Levy and the apprenticeship reforms which are taking place. We will help all employers to make the transition to the new arrangements.
Any employers who are unsure about what they have to do, or who would like more information about existing apprenticeship schemes before the changes are introduced, should get in touch with us at the earliest opportunity.
Please call our number 0191 5366867
or email: email@example.com for more information.
All employers with an annual wage bill greater than £3million will be expected to pay a 0.5% tax on payroll.
The Government hope the changes will help to bridge the skills gap by encouraging more businesses to invest in future talent and help it fulfil its pledge to create three million more apprenticeships in the UK by 2020.
The levy will replace all taxpayer funding for apprenticeships for companies of all sizes.
Employers who do not pay the apprenticeship levy will not need to use the digital voucher to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment until at least 2018. However, they will be asked to contribute a ‘small proportion’ of funding toward the cost of their apprenticeship training.
The employer will make an initial payment to the training provider and the Government will then pay the difference.
The Government will pay 90% towards the cost of training and assessment, and employers will pay the remaining 10%. (There are instances where government will pay 100%, please get in touch for details)
All firms receive an offset allowance of £15,000.
An employer with an annual wage bill of £5million:
Levy sum: 0.5% x £5,000,000 = £25,000
Offset allowance of £15,000, so £25,000-£15,000 = £10,000
This employer will pay a Levy of £10,000
Funds can pay for apprenticeship training and assessment.
They cannot pay for apprentices’ wages, travel or subsidiary costs, managerial costs, work placements, traineeships or the costs of setting up an apprenticeship programme.
The levy will be collected every month through the PAYE system alongside income tax and national insurance contributions.
The first time eligible employers will have to declare their liability to HMRC will be in May 2017 for levy due on their April payroll.
Levy-paying employers will be able to see corresponding funds in a dedicated digital account shortly after their final declaration to HMRC, so after May 22.
Employers in England will be able to reclaim their levy contributions as digital vouchers to pay for training apprentices. The voucher system will not apply in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
Unspent funds in an employer’s digital account will expire after 18 months.
Employers that pay the levy will also receive a 10% top-up from Government to their total monthly contributions in England.
Employers will be able to register to create an online account from January 2017.
Employers that start an apprentice before April 2017 will receive funding under the current system – and that funding will continue for the duration of the apprenticeship.
Employers who take on an apprentice aged 16-18 will receive an incentive to help meet the extra costs of employing them.
The same additional payment will be made to employers who take on disadvantaged apprentices aged 19-24 – for example those with an education and healthcare plan provided by the local authority or those who have been in local authority care.
The additional payment is £1,000 paid in instalments.
Only employers in England will receive funding through their digital accounts. A sum of £0.5billion will be allocated to governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and they will decide how the funds should be spent.
For help and advice on apprenticeships, the Levy and all the reforms taking place, please call Resources NE Ltd head office number 0191 5366867 or email:
Or to contact via our web form
6b Southwick Industrial Estate
Tel: 0191 536 6867
5% Discount on all courses booked in JuneRead More
We recently started a learner on our Traineeship program in our Southwick center (Sunderland). The employer was so impressed with the work ethic of the learner that we placed that this has been converted into a full time Apprenticeship.Read More
2 learners from our Sunderland construction training centre continue to get valuable work experience with the Hylton Castle Heritage projectRead More
The last 2 SIA courses at North Shields and Sunderland both have been successful with a 100% pass rate. All of these learner have been handed applications for a number of local security firms.
New Vacancies available. Apply now!